Computer Troubles

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default Computer Troubles

Post by spakman on Wed 15 Apr - 10:57

Just a quick note to let you all know that I probably wont be on much in the near future. My computer randomly reboots on me Sad

Im pretty sure ive narrowed down the issue to either the Power supply, RAM, or Motherboard, and Im feverishly hoping its not the Motherboard.
I have a backup Power supply if need be, RAM is quick to RMA, but if its my mainboard I might be out of commision for up to a month or so, ASUS is slow when it comes to returns Sad

Ill keep you posted

-Andre
spakman
Shield Bearer

Male
Number of posts : 20
Other games played : Quake Live, Battlefield Heros, Fallout 3
Registration date : 2009-01-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

default Re: Computer Troubles

Post by HeavyMetalHead on Wed 15 Apr - 11:59

Ouch, man...hope you get figure out what's wrong and get it fixed.
HeavyMetalHead
Lord

Male
Number of posts : 201
Other games played : Altogether or other MMOs?
Registration date : 2008-03-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pampered One on Wed 15 Apr - 22:52

Definatly check the RAM first. ann had the same issue. turned out one of the memory modules was shot. I would recommend pulling out and rebooting the comp with one at a time installed. See how that goes for you.

Pampered

All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets.
Voltaire
Pampered One
King

Male
Number of posts : 556
Other games played : Lineage 2, 2 moons, CoH, CoV
Registration date : 2008-02-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by spakman on Wed 15 Apr - 23:22

Tried that last night, and I ran Memtest on each stick individually, both passed, but with both sticks installed Memtest crashed repeatedly durring the 1st test, And With only 1 stick installed it still crashes...

-Andre
spakman
Shield Bearer

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by spakman on Fri 17 Apr - 20:24

Fingers Crossed!

Turns out the newest version of memtest doesnt like my chipset, so I got v3.4 and all my memory passed.

I also Noticed my CPU was running hot (~50-55 dec Celcius Idle), so I took of my Heatsink and fan, cleaned it (although it wasnt that dusty) and re-installed it making extra sure all the pins were solidly in place.

Im running a Prime95 torture test right now and my CPU is running at 40-45 deg celcius with all 4 cores running at 100% Smile

So far so good

Fingers Crossed!

-Andre
spakman
Shield Bearer

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by spakman on Tue 21 Apr - 14:01

Gah! Another 4 days of tests and im still in the dark about the problem.
I pulled the system out of the case and I have memtest running with the MB out on the desk with a minimum of parts installed (MB, CPU, Memory, Video Card and DVD Drive). As of this morning memtest had been running for 18 hours without error or reboot, If its still up when I get home Ill plug in one hard drive, and run some tests in windows, and then Ill keep adding parts and testing untill I find the problem part or rip my head off in frustration

-Andre
spakman
Shield Bearer

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Game Nurse on Tue 21 Apr - 20:07

What a nightmare!!
Hate computer problems...

Good luck with whatever it is and hope you are up and running soon!!

N
Game Nurse
Lord

Female
Number of posts : 426
Registration date : 2008-05-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pampered One on Tue 21 Apr - 21:14

I have a whole sequence of suggestions, but I will throw 2 out real quickly for now. If your memory has been passing memtest then time to look elsewhere.

1. Your power supply. It may be a butt kicking 750-1000 watt unit but if its not performing right, poof it can't handle the stress. Do you have another one lying around? As long as its 350+ it should suffice to see if you have that issue. Just unplug extemporanious hardware like floppy, cd drives, dvd drives, extra hard drives. Then see what it does.

2. Run the free program "motherbaord monitor". this can show you if you are having temperature issues around the motherboard and not just the cpu. Also, if your video card manufacturer has a GPU temp program, check it as well. I had video shutdowns after my card hit about 6 months old. Seemed the cards fan just was not sufficient. This has happened to numerous ATI and nVidia cards. My GPU was hitting temps near 90 degrees centigrade. Thats dang near boiling water. Bought a card fan that rests against it and now it hangs out around 60-70 degrees . Not great but far better

Pampered

All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets.
Voltaire
Pampered One
King

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by spakman on Wed 22 Apr - 19:50

Yeah, Ive already tried my spare power supply (a 450 w), same thing, random crash.
I actually tried Motherboard monitor 5, it doesnt support my Motherboard Sad. So Ive been using ASUS PCProbe 2 which montors CPU + MB temps as well as Fan speeds and voltages on ther 3 main rails (+12, +5 and +3.3 V) all temps/voltages are fine.
I also use ASUS SmartDoctor to monitor my Video card, its fine (35-45 dec celcius)

as a last ditch effort before I admit defeat and bring the whole kit back to the store for support, I switched the PCIexpress port that my video card is in (I have 3 slots and only 1 video card, so why not?

In case it gives anyone any Ideas here are my system specs
Intel Q6600 CPU, Stock HS and Fan
ASUS P5N-T Deluxe Motherboard
ASUS EN9800GTX+ 512MB Video Card
4 GB Kit (2x2gb) Kingston HyperX 1066 DDR 2 RAM
Hard Drives:
1x Western Digital Velociraptor 10kRPM Sata2 300GB
1x Seagate 320 GB 7200RPM SATA2
LG DVD-RW
Antec NeoPower 650 Power supply

-Andre
spakman
Shield Bearer

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by spakman on Wed 22 Apr - 21:40

Well, 2 hours in with no reboot. If it was just the video card being in PCIe slot 1 causing the computer to do this ill be simultaniously Overjoyed that I found a solution (Admitedly, a band-aid solution, but that'll do for now) and enraged that it took me a week to figure out something so rediculous.

But lets not get ahead of ourselves, Its only been up for 2 hours, lets wait and see *knock on wood and all that*

affraid Welcome to my Nightmare affraid

spakman
Shield Bearer

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Game Nurse on Thu 23 Apr - 0:10

All I can say is....ICK!!!!

I would take having to deal with a nice, infected, nasty wound over that mess any day... makes me feel a little sick to the stomach looking at it...

*grin*

N
Game Nurse
Lord

Female
Number of posts : 426
Registration date : 2008-05-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Herodias on Thu 23 Apr - 5:18

Wow....thats a mess! Gunter sometimes knows what hes talking about most of the time....cept when I told him about my memory issues, and he said I was crazy since I had all this new memory...so my computer had problems for 2 months. We finally figured out that my new memory chips were dead just like he said. Now it works....sometimes lol.

Ann

Lady Herodias

Lady Herodias R/E
Queen Bathsheba N/M
Aurelia Ann D/M
Leilani Chin A/M
Shan Zen Bacher P/W
Mui Chocolatier Ritualist

Lady Herodias
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 506
Other games played : 2 Moons, Lineage 2

View user profile http://gunterandann.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by spakman on Thu 23 Apr - 20:22

Well it turns out that the PCIe slot didn't affect anything, I'm back to the random reboots, so tomorrow I'm returning my Motherboard for RMA, hopefully it wont be too long to get a replacement board in Sad

-Andre
spakman
Shield Bearer

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pampered One on Thu 23 Apr - 21:53

Well, thanks for posting the photos of your desk. Ann always says mine is too messy. Seems I'm not alone.

Pampered

Voltaire
Pampered One
King

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Herodias on Fri 24 Apr - 6:08

Your desk is cleaner! Gunter has stuff there he hasnt touched in 4 years...and the plates are getting moldy!

Lady Herodias

Lady Herodias R/E
Queen Bathsheba N/M
Aurelia Ann D/M
Leilani Chin A/M
Shan Zen Bacher P/W

Lady Herodias
Administrator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by spakman on Wed 29 Apr - 22:24

Well I'd say that the desk was only that messy because of the dismantled computer sprawled across it, but that would be a lie.. Smile I usually have to do a mini clean up every week or so, when it gets so cluttered I don't have enough room to move the mouse around properly

And in other news, the motherboard was sent off last Friday, Hopefully I'll have news before the end of the week

-Andre
spakman
Shield Bearer

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Herodias on Thu 30 Apr - 3:36

Excuses....excuses...excuses...gotta take a pic of your desk after you put your computer back together again. Then we will take a vote on the forum after I take a pic of Gunter;s desk an your desk to see what the members think lol.

Lady Herodias

Lady Herodias R/E
Queen Bathsheba N/M
Aurelia Ann D/M
Leilani Chin A/M
Shan Zen Bacher P/W

Lady Herodias
Administrator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by spakman on Wed 13 May - 19:14

OK, I got my motherboard back from the shop today, put my box back together, Installed Windows 7 RC, and am up and running!

As requested here are some pics of my desk post re-assembly.

OK, I confess Its not ususally anywhere near this clean, I had to give it a good cleaning to have enough space to put my beast back together!

-Andre

EDIT: Damnit, my system is still out. It'll be a while before im able to bring my whole system in to the shop to have them do a full diagnostic as I don't have the components at home to test each and every part. Ill let you know when Im back up for good.
spakman
Shield Bearer

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by spakman on Fri 21 Aug - 2:53

Well it turns out it was my CPU that was at fault, and after a hell of a time with Intel tech support, and having to mail the damned thing to them twice... I am actually, for real this time, up and running, my system has been stable for over a week now so Im good to go!

Ill try my best to be online tomorrow evening (and probably during the day on and off since I have a day off of school tomorrow) I know things have been pretty quiet the last little while, but hopfully we'll be able to get somthing going for my triumphant return!

-Andre
spakman
Shield Bearer

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content