What I've been up too

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default What I've been up too

Post by Pampered One on Thu 16 Jul - 14:57

It has once again been a very stressful week for us where puppies are concerned.

Olene, the female dog we were to keep out of the litter and were expecting to carry on the line, has taken a dramatic turn for the worse. Starting last saturday, she began to lose her appetite and by Monday evening she was emaciated and doing poorly.

The vet originally thought a liver shunt was the issue but tests on Tuesday did not back this up. She has been on IV fluids and antibiotics now for 3 days and has been up and down a lot. She twice has had a spiked fever but recovered. Now she is showing signs of brain swelling. One pupil is very slow to react....she presses her head against the wall of the isolation pen...and her coordination is poor. She still vomits and has diaharea a lot.

The vet can not seem to pinpoint what is happening here and has many thoeries. The way she looks now, he says, looks like a dog with distemper and he wonders if she had a compromised immune system and actually got distemper from the vaccination 2 weeks ago.

Poor Krist is not doing well at all since he has been the caretaker of the litter all summer and was close to this one in particular.

As I type this, I am prepared to put her down today unless some miracle has occured overnight. Not exactly something I want to do but I feel I have given her about as much time to rebound as possible and it now no longer outweighs the suffering she is going through.

If anyone wishes to say a prayer for this sweet little dog, I'm sure it certainly could not do anything but help.

Sorry, but getting on a computer is just not something I feel like doing at all this week while going through all of this.

Gunter

All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets.
Voltaire
Pampered One
King

Male
Number of posts : 556
Other games played : Lineage 2, 2 moons, CoH, CoV
Registration date : 2008-02-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

default Re: What I've been up too

Post by Trytan on Thu 16 Jul - 20:00

Really sorry to hear about the puppy Gunter, hopefully she can manage to pull through. After the rough ride the litter has been through already in the early weeks it would really be a shame for this one not to make it at this stage. But in the end you're right, there has to come a time where you do the right thing and just put an end to the poor little things suffering and let it be at peace.

Don't blame you at all for not wanting to log in during something like this, I know I wouldn't be. Take care man, good luck with everything, and we'll see you when we see you.
Trytan
Knight

Male
Number of posts : 152
Registration date : 2008-08-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by catra on Sun 19 Jul - 12:26

So sorry to hear about your puppy troubles. I used to bred dogs years ago so know what you are going thru. Sounds like your sick one even if she makes it will always be sickly because of how it is effecting her. Wishing you the best and will be praying things turn around.
catra
Shield Bearer

Female
Number of posts : 27
Other games played : none at this time
Registration date : 2008-08-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by funky on Mon 20 Jul - 6:22

Hi Gunter,

Sad to hear about it & hope everything will get better.

Take care & see you soon.
funky
Squire

Male
Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2008-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pampered One on Fri 24 Jul - 16:50

***UPDATE***

After a very up and down week we had to put Olene to sleep on Saturday. She had physically recovered from the parvo and coccidia but her kidneys were shutting down and she was miserable. the vet had not been able to diagnose the parvo initially because the 3 things they look for; Fever, low White Blood Cells count, and the Parvo test itself, all came back negative. Friday morning Lorella went in with early Parvo signs but by saturday Afternoon had her appetite back and was driving the vet's office nuts. She made a miraculous recovery and gained 1.2 pounds from when she was weighed Friday going into the vets to Wednesday when she went back. Despite that, she is over 3 pounds behind the remaining pup which shows how bad even a few days of this virus can be.

We used about 11 gallons of chlorine bleach to bleach the yard, deck and surfaces that we could, as well as clothing. I ruined a lot of clothes. Lorella is in our Isolation Kennel and we must chlorox ourselves and her kennel each time we enter and exit. Klamath, the other remaining puppy, is isolated to the front yard and deck. And in fear that this is the new "C" strain of the virus, which can affect adult dogs now, we have isolated the adult dogs to the remaining areas. So, in effect, our home is now segregated into 3 separate zones with large efforts being taken to no contaminate from one to the other.

They all have their third set of innoculations and hopefully this will end soon, but Lorella will be shedding virus for some time to come still.

Krist was devastated when we put Olene to sleep. He was very attached to her. He goes back home next weekend so this weekend he and I are going to escape the puppy madness for a few days and let Ann handle it for a while.

Things should get lonely for me after he leaves. I want to come back to GW then and see you all.

G

All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets.
Voltaire
Pampered One
King

Male
Number of posts : 556
Other games played : Lineage 2, 2 moons, CoH, CoV
Registration date : 2008-02-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Game Nurse on Sat 25 Jul - 0:55

I am so sorry Gunter, and you guys are amazing. There are not many people, much less breeders, who would put the efforts you guys put out...

take care and see you all soon,
n
Game Nurse
Lord

Female
Number of posts : 426
Registration date : 2008-05-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Trytan on Sat 25 Jul - 1:18

Very sorry to hear you guys had to put Olene down, but glad to hear Lorella bounced back. What an unbelievable amount of stress and work this litter is providing!

Hope you and Krist enjoy the father son weekend. Sounds like you guys really do need it.
Trytan
Knight

Male
Number of posts : 152
Registration date : 2008-08-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tamuril on Sat 25 Jul - 7:41

Sorry to hear about your loss Gunter, these things can leave you very sad and devastated.

I know how you're feeling as I had to have my favorite cat put to sleep last night, while I know it was the right thing to do, that horrible empty hole it leaves in your life is unbearable.

I sure hope it turns out ok for the rest of the pups as you've put in some incredibly hard and stressful work there.

I also hope you can enjoy the time with Krist, you've sure earnt a break..

Tam
tamuril
Shield Bearer

Male
Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2008-03-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down