Another free MMO that looks worthwhile

View previous topic View next topic Go down

default Another free MMO that looks worthwhile

Post by Game Nurse on Mon 17 Aug - 5:41

So Dungeons and Dragons Online is going Free to PLay - it used to be subscription based. Apparently it is free, but you can buy in game things with real money - mainly cosmetics, and EVERYTHING you can buy you can also get in game if you play it (read: grind). And if you chose to go subscription then you do not have to buy anything in-game. Do not ask me how it works, but there you are.

I mention this because it is produced by Turbine, and they have done Lord of the Rings, which I personally really like. No, not as much as Guild Wars, but I really really like it. So this D&D Online sounds promising. Certainly it gets very good reviews...

It launches Sept. 9, I think. So if anyone tries it, let me know how you liked it! I would be most curious!!!

n
Game Nurse
Lord

Female
Number of posts : 426
Registration date : 2008-05-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

default Re: Another free MMO that looks worthwhile

Post by Acolyte41 on Sat 29 Aug - 19:46

huh i hadnt heard about this.. I was under the impression that D & D was getting shut down,
Acolyte41
Knight

Male
Number of posts : 106
Other games played : You name it...
Registration date : 2009-06-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by spakman on Wed 9 Sep - 22:18

I Played for a bit this morning/afternoon and so far I like it, although Ive heard that there is alot of grind involved if you don't want to pay at all, but so far so good, if someone wants to join me, im on the argonessen server and my character name is Grik Starcaste (level 2 paladin Yay!)
spakman
Shield Bearer

Male
Number of posts : 20
Other games played : Quake Live, Battlefield Heros, Fallout 3
Registration date : 2009-01-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Game Nurse on Sat 12 Sep - 16:34

Whoa Spakman! Nice levelling!!

I loaded the game on Thursday night and tried it. What great fun!!!! But it is totally confusing to me. I think I am going to have to really sit down and figure it out. It is different from any MMO I have played before. (Of course I have only played GW (All Time Fav), Lord ot Rings (very close second), WoW (meh, not my thing) and Champions (very amusing) so far)

Do you understand all the stats and stuff???

Otherwise the graphics are really nice, I LOVE the humour in the game. I REALLY love the dialogue, it is well written and amusing to read (of course I am only level 1 step 5 or whatever it is called. Only had an hour to play). The spell things seem somewhat primitive with rather disappointing animations, but I am really going to give it a shot.

I mean it is free, what could be better than that???
Game Nurse
Lord

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by spakman on Sat 12 Sep - 19:52

Yeah the spell animations do seem a little lacking, but maybe higher level spells will be more impressive.

As for the stats, its loosely based on D&D 3.5, I played a little bit of 3rd edition a while back so I have a basic understanding of the stats skills and feats but there is still alot I need to read up on (mainly the Feat pre-requisites and stuff) to get a good idea of how I want to build my character once I decide on a class for my main.

I rolled a Rogue on the Khyber server and am having a great time with him, Sneak attack is a blast!

The Dialogue is fun, and I love the Dungeon master comentary as your skulking though a dungeon, I find it helps get me in the mood and reminds me of playing a sit around the table, pencil paper and Dice Role playing game.

I think Ill be sticking with DDO for a while, I might even splurge and spend some money to unlock some premium content once ive finished with the the free stuff, assuming the game is still holding my attention.

Nurse, and anyone else who decides to give DDO a try, post your character names and the server your playing on and Ill add you to my friends list, maybe we can get together and play some time.

-Andre
spakman
Shield Bearer

Male
Number of posts : 20
Other games played : Quake Live, Battlefield Heros, Fallout 3
Registration date : 2009-01-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pampered One on Fri 18 Sep - 20:27

Downloaded it on my 2 comps yesterday and got my dwarf barbarian to level 2 and have another toon rolled out. Looks ok so far. I'll see how it goes.

G

All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets.
Voltaire
Pampered One
King

Male
Number of posts : 556
Other games played : Lineage 2, 2 moons, CoH, CoV
Registration date : 2008-02-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Godzuki on Sat 19 Sep - 3:12

I looked at this a while ago and it seems interesting. I might try it out eventually but I'm still trying to get my graphic card problems worked out. Always been a fan of old school.
Godzuki
Knight

Male
Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Game Nurse on Sat 19 Sep - 15:55

It is definitely old schoool. I have not had the time really to figure it out. And it is completely confusing me. Can anyone explain it to me a little??

Like what does 1d6 mean (for example)????
How come I cannot use my skills at times against monsters?
What the heck do the stats mean anyways?????

It is most definitely not a point and click game I think... it actually requires some kind of thought process (oh no!!! *grin*).

Bob - if you can run GW I am sure you can run DDO, it does not look that graphics intensive to me. But I could be wrong...

n
Game Nurse
Lord

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HeavyMetalHead on Sat 19 Sep - 17:08

The only slight pain of the old-school to me is keeping track of the dice system. Kinda biased since I've never played a single session of D&D before in my life. I guess it helps some, if not most, of the D&D players either keep a notepad or a calculator (or both) to keep track of gained/lost health, exp, et cetera.

And to explain the dice system to Nurse: 1d6 is one six-sided die. The first number is the number of dice used while the d# is the number of sides the die has.

Also explaining the "roll for initiative" ahead of time just in case Nurse asks about that: each party member and the GM (Game Master) rolls 1d20 (one twenty-sided die) to see who attacks first. Whoever gets closest to 20 goes first. After everyone rolls, they attack in the order rolled from highest to lowest.

(Not about to go into critical successes and critical failures, leaving that for someone else to explain)
HeavyMetalHead
Lord

Male
Number of posts : 201
Other games played : Altogether or other MMOs?
Registration date : 2008-03-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Godzuki on Sat 19 Sep - 18:32

Well, that's the problem Nurse, my computer hasn't been able to run GW properly for the past week or so regardless of what I do with it.

As with the original D&D, the best place to get started on learning how to play would be the game manual. DDO offers a PDF manual though I hear it's not always up to date.

http://content.turbine.com/sites/www.ddo.com/media/manual/ddo_manual.pdf

There's also the DDO compendium which is pretty much their wiki:

http://compendium.ddo.com/wiki/Compendium_Home

DDO also has its own forums with a newbie section on it. You can probably find some answers or even ask some of your questions there:

http://forums.ddo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81
Godzuki
Knight

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Trytan on Sun 20 Sep - 15:24

I downloaded this one yesterday and had a very quick go of it, only had about a half hour of spare time. I rolled out a human fighter class on the Argonnesan server. Was fairly enjoyable (need to turn up the brightness on my screen as I could hardly see anything in those dungeons).

The combat seemed a little clunky but I guess I'd just have to get used to it. And I was surprised to see how stats heavy everything is with the die rolls and such. I've never played D&D in my life so that's gonna be a bit of a learning curve. I was expecting it to be more like a hack and slash game like Baldurs Gate where all the stats stuff is still happening but just goes on in the background.

But hey, it's free and that does it for me in the end. I still had some fun with it and think I may give this game the odd whirl here and there when I need a short breather from GW.
Trytan
Knight

Male
Number of posts : 152
Registration date : 2008-08-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Godzuki on Sun 20 Sep - 23:18

I started a character on the Khyber server. I initially planned out on starting a monk (which is the sort of class I wish GW had) but it requires using Turbine points to unlock so I just started a paladin. I got the hang of it pretty quick, graphics were ok, gameplay was ok, and overall the game was interesting enough to hold my attention for the hour or so that I had. The combat system is a little weird but I guess it just takes some getting used to. I'm guessing spellcasting classes are even more complex.

One of the few problems I had with it were the slow loading times in some areas which was annoying when you were doing a quest and returning to town constantly. Camera feels a little dodgey at times too.
Godzuki
Knight

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top